Thursday, February 4, 2010

Recipes #6 & #7: Easy does it.

Especially in the dead of winter, there's nothing better than coming home from a long day at work to an easy dinner. Even better when its in the crockpot! That's what we did yesterday since there was a small window between the job & scrapbooking class. We made a yummy dinner by adapting a "crock pot baked beans with kielbasa" recipe from the Mommy Diaries blog of my college friend Esther. We used deer sausage and the cookbook's Baked Bean recipe, which was a great combo. Delicious, convenient, & made the house smell good. I love walking in the front door to the aroma of something cooking all day. Mmmm.....
The previous night we had another easy meal; deer steaks and the cookbook's Green Beans with Toasted Almonds. Simple & tasty. Travis was feeling a bit Emerill-esque (yep, I made up that word) as he experimented with baking the steaks in green pepper, minced garlic, onion, white wine, & a red wine vinegar. BAM! It turned out great! No cooking for us tonight, as Travis is at his second job and I ate baked Cornflake Chicken & veggies at my parents' house. My mom was interviewed by Q2's news anchor yesterday to discuss her recent heart attack on "Health Watch." This segment focuses on health research, medical issues, and "shares inspiring stories of people who have found ways to handle difficult health problems." We look forward to when it airs! And also in relation to TV, we of course are super jazzed for next week's Survivor Season Premiere! :)
~Rating of Baked Beans: 6 stars (out of 10)
~Rating of Green Beans with Toasted Almonds: 6 strong stars (out of 10)
~Quote of the day: "Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." -Robert Brault.
~Music while cooking: Funk Volume 2, & Weezer's Pinkerton -until Travis surprisingly replaced it with The Dixie Chicks' Fly.

1 comment:

  1. Fun, blog, Anna! I just became a follower--thanks for the shout out! I love having dinner cooked for me in the evening too. My crock-pot is probably my favorite kitchen appliance!

    ReplyDelete