Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Recipe #19: Chicken Soup For The Soul


Well, it was red pepper soup, actually. But the loving, caring, nurturing ingredients were still in there! "Gag me with a spoon" is what some of you are thinking, right? -A bit lovey dovey, perhaps.- But watching my mother in action today, I totally see where my caregiving skills come from! We had a long day at the hospital, while Travis had his hernia surgery, and she was in a constant flutter when she met us there; hugging former coworkers, introducing her "handsome son-in-law," tucking Travis into his covers, telling stories,... Her morning walk evidently left her quite energized! :) She & the hospital staff made us feel well taken care of.
Once we got back to the comfort of our own home late this afternoon (and Travis took up residency on the couch), I resumed the caretaker role and began making the Roasted Red Pepper Soup for my hungry husband. Soup; its part of Dr. Hancock's many orders. I thought it'd be a simple task, but there were several steps involved, including me learning how to take the skin off a bell pepper! I should've read the recipe more carefully beforehand, and saved it for a day I had a bit more time to spare. But I must say, it turned out really good with all the veggies in it. (Especially the shallots, we've been using a lot of shallots lately.) Most importantly, my patient really liked it!
America's Next Top Model & I kept Travis company as we slurped up this thick, comforting soup. He's still on the couch right now, on movie #3, sipping his new favorite Perrier Sparkling Mineral Water with lime and preparing for a lengthy recovery. Good thing we got some household projects outa the way before he went under the knife, like selecting a new dishwasher and taking down our Christmas tree, cause I can definately see how he'll be out of commission for awhile! Yes, I said Christmas tree. Don't laugh. It may be March, but I tell ya, we worked so hard to cut that sucker down, we were holding on to it as long as we could! And. It. Just. Wouldn't. Die. (You can see it proudly standing a few days ago in the background of Recipe #16's photo.) Definately got our $8's worth for the tree permit, as this lovely pine has stayed fresh for THREE MONTHS! Not nearly as long for Travis' full recovery, we hope... :)
~Rating of Roasted Red Pepper Soup: 8 stars (out of 10)
~Quote of the day: "You treat a disease; you win, you lose. You treat a person, I guarantee you, you'll win, no matter what the outcome." -Patch Adams.
~Music while cooking: MP3 player on shuffle.

No comments:

Post a Comment