Saturday, March 20, 2010

Recipe #23: Left To Tell


At the last minute, I was able to attend "Bringing Hope To The World: Affirming The Culture Of Life." (Thanks for the ticket Sue!) I was SO EXCITED about this powerful conference since I recently finished Left To Tell, a book written by the keynote speaker. Have you read it? This is an AMAZING story, told by an INSPIRATIONAL woman who survived the 1994 Rwanda Genocide. She managed to secretly hide in a tiny bathroom with 7 other women, for 91 days, with hatred & killings occurring around her. Can you even imagine? I mean really, can you? I just can't fathom the magnitude of horror & fear this woman endured! The author, Immaculée Ilibagiza, not only survived this devastating nightmare, but is now regarded as one of the world's leading speakers on peace & faith. And I see why. If you ever get the chance to hear her speak, do it. She has a great presence. The entire room was quiet, all eyes fixated on her words, as she shared her experience. And a very good question was raised, "How can smart people cause pain?" There's just really no logical reason to hurt others physically, emotionally, & mentally. On many levels, it doesn't make any sense! Do unto others as you want them to do unto you? Mind-boggling how this Golden Rule can be forgotten. Or overlooked. So horrible to feel such betrayal at such an intense level. Immaculée said she was able to see how the murderers let their minds grow, but their hearts did not. She looked into the lost souls of those who killed her family, and found forgiveness. And in turn, found FREEDOM. An amazing, amazing story.
There were other remarkable speakers at this conference too; discussing controversial issues like capital punishment, abortion, euthanasia, & social justice. It was all pretty thought-provoking. Great messages on the power of prayer, how our actions impact others, social teaching, world peace, & moral dimensions of public issues. (And another thank you goes out to my father who so kindly drove my Left To Tell book, that my mom was borrowing, to the conference for me... and Immaculée signed it!)
So what did I eat following such a profound day? Travis & I cooked the Bacon Leek Sundried Tomato Quiche, he is quite fond of quiche. And this was pretty darn good! We also donated to a Rwandan orphanage, and you can too by clicking here.
~Rating of Bacon Leek Sundried Tomato Quiche: a firm 7.5 stars (out of 10)
~Quote of the day: "We have committed the Golden Rule to memory; let us now commit it to life." -Edwin Markham.
~Music while cooking: Silence, pure silence. Until Travis looked up from the bacon he was frying, "Shouldn't we be listening to something French?" We cranked up some Les Misérables. (I saw this musical when I lived in St. Paul, and we sang the entire soundtrack in 8th grade choir, so it brings back some great memories!) We also listened to a CD called Spirit of Africa.

2 comments:

  1. I would love to read this book. Your blog is so inspiring, both through food and giving back. Nice work Anna.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Its been a delicious, creative outlet for me!

    ReplyDelete