Sunday, March 21, 2010

Recipe #24: Twenty-Four recipes down, SEVENTY more to go!!



Yep, I've got my work cut out for me, don't I? Upon counting the remaining Chico recipes, imagine my surprise in discovering SEVENTY untouched delicacies! How in the world did Julie Powell (from the Julie & Julia Project) manage to cook 524 recipes in 365 days? "Deranged assignment," is a good description she mentioned in her blog. :) I did some more counting folks, and it seems I've done just 24 recipes in 56 days. At this rate, it'll be a full year-long project! Good thing I'm feeling ambitious...
Today's recipe was the Baked Brie with Huckleberry Coulis. It was such a delightful little treat, we invited my parents over for a sample. "Oh that's kinda rich," my dad kept saying. I thought it was great! One problem I had while making it though, was a bit of confusion when using the puff pastry shells. I'd never used them before, and wasn't sure if I should roll the dough before "gently wrapping the pastry around the cheese as if wrapping a present" or use them straight from the box. So I tried both options (see photo). In the end, it didn't seem to matter, cause they looked pretty much the same once they were baked.
After nibbling this little treat we joined some family & friends for an afternoon of two-steppin' at a Fiddlers Jamboree. Uncle Don and the band from our wedding were playing, and Travis was very ecstatic there was some club soda with lime to sip on! We had such a fun & funny time. My dad said he was "burnin' up the dance floor!"
And now, I'm about to review some stuff for work since I'm presenting to the State tomorrow. You know what that means; early early morning and a long long drive. How is it the weekends always go by SO FAST??!!
~Rating of Baked Brie with Huckleberry Coulis: 6 stars from Pa, 7 stars from Ma, 8 stars from Travis, & 8.5 stars from me.
~Quote of the day: "I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose." -Woody Allen
~Music while cooking: Les Miserables.

No comments:

Post a Comment