Sunday, April 18, 2010

Recipes #34- #36: monologues, queens, & red ripe tomatoes

(58 recipes to go.)
The combination of this weekend's entertainment was somehow, someway profound. We're just not sure yet how to categorize it. A different look at FEMINISM perhaps? New SOCIAL norms? Redefined GENDER roles? However you want to describe it, we were thoroughly entertained with the Friday night viewing of Eve Ensler's Vagina Monologues Play and last night's dragqueen show titled Wicked Lil Girls. One is a global-wide campaign to stop violence against females, the other; an artistry of men portraying caricature women. Both were fantastic!! Alive with passion, empowerment, conviction -and controversy! Traditionally considered taboo!! (And after the Monologues Friday night, my girlfriends & I were excited to unexpectedly catch part of another dragshow called The Divas!) Great discussions (and dancing) followed all three productions.
I'll get to the Chico recipe in a minute. But first I've just gotta mention; I always appreciate a good drag show, but this is the first time I've experienced The Monologues. Have you ever been a part of this phenomenon? I see how it has attracted so much attention! A nonprofit called VDay has been created from this play. Their focus is to increase awareness, raise funds, and help organizations in their fight to stop violence against women & girls (including rape, battery, incest, female genital mutilation, & sexual slavery). You can help their cause by donating here. And, the drag show had some indepth material as well. The Fish Stix (this is the sixth time we've been to one of their shows) always throw in a meaningful number, whether it pertains to gay marriage, acceptance, hate crimes, HIV awareness, etc. Last night they held an auction to raise money for The Yellowstone Aids Project. See? This really was an all-around profound weekend!
Okay, enough about that. Let's get back to the cookbook.... I selected a special, light lunch for Travis' last meal on medical leave today; Tomato-Basil Bruschetta. We also whipped up the Balsamic Vinegar Reduction Sauce & Basil Oil to drizzle over this delightful little treat, as the cookbook suggested. And like a lot of Chico's recipes, this had some intricate steps. We were blanching the fresh basil in boiling water & shocking it in ice water before blending it in oil & straining it, when Travis asked, "Can't we pick a meal that uses less pots & pans?" It was a tasty lunch, but a little bittersweet with the new workweek looming before us. Dang it, I'm gonna miss his handsome mug being around so often! Oh well, c'est la vie, I guess. We've got to do, what we've got to do. I'm actually heading into work as well, playing a little catch up in the office. The weekend has officially come to a screeching halt!
~Rating of Tomato-Basil Bruschetta with the Balsamic Vinegar Reduction Sauce & Basil Oil: 6 stars (out of 10) from Travis. 8 stars from me. The leftover ingredients were good too; dipping the french bread into goat cheese & balsamic vinegar. YUM! Oh and of course, we sipped on some Perrier...
~Ma's Rating of Walnut Gorgonzola Salad: 7 stars (out of 10) (a follow-up to Recipe #33, when I mentioned taking her the ingredients to taste-test.)
~Quote of the day: "I believe in pink. I believe laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day, & I believe in miracles." -Audrey Hepburn.
~Music while cooking: none

No comments:

Post a Comment