Monday, May 10, 2010

Recipes #41, #42, & #43: somethin' smells fishy

(51 recipes to go.)
Oh wow. Love, love, love the Pine Nut Crusted Halibut. I mean, this was sooooo ridiculously good. The combination of nuts & batter, plus a Port Wine Butter Sauce & Mango Salsa poured over the top, made it pretty RICH. Which is probably why I fell in love with this fish. My tastebuds like anything that resembles sugar! Travis on the other hand, doesn't have much of a sweet-tooth and was only semi-excited about this flavor. Another perk for me though, was how it was a fairly easy meal to make... Well, up until the whirlwind ending, that is. Everything was going smooth; dipping fillets in the batter, simmering wine. But then. Trying to time the fish & sauce's cooking times with the finished salsa, left me juggling pots & pans and chopping veggies at a frantic speed! As I ripped open the bag of pine nuts, they exploded from the package, leaving little nuts scattered in all directions! Then my sauce began making a thick gurgling sound and literally regurgitated splatters of buttery wine all over the stove & WALL in one big belch! Travis chuckled at the after-math; bowls lined the counter, dishes piled in the sink, cilantro was all over the floor, & the knife (still in my hand) had remnants of red pepper dangling from it. "Lunch is ready," I proclaimed as I blew a loose strand of hair from my face & poured a glass of Perrier. Whew! "Let's eat." And Bren, yes I think you'd like this mango salsa. I've been snacking on the leftovers with chips, its tasty. I'll getchya the recipe. Don't let this little kitchen fiasco fool ya, its really not complicated to make!
~Rating of Pine Nut Crusted Halibut: 8 stars (out of 10)
~Rating of Port Wine Butter Sauce: 6.5 stars (out of 10)
~Rating of Mango Salsa: 7.5 stars (out of 10)
~Quote of the day: "Fish, to taste right, must swim three times- in water, in butter, & in wine." -Polish Proverb
~Music while cooking: Cher's If I Could Turn Back Time, & Kid Rock's Devil Without a Cause

No comments:

Post a Comment