Sunday, July 18, 2010

Recipes #53 & #54: Whew doggy, its hot out there!

(40 recipes to go.)
With some of the most sizzling temps of the year, you'd think baking would be the last thing on my mind for a Sunday afternoon. But with the air conditioning & tunes cranked up, that's exactly what I did today while Travis shot his bow in the driveway. In the mood for a lil Carrot Cake, I literally baked up a storm as evening thundershowers cooled off the night. And here's an excellent tidbit I found online when hubby's grocery store trip left him empty handed for the particular fromage listed in this recipe; Mascarpone Cheese can be substituted with 8 oz cream cheese, 1/4 c heavy cream, & 2 tbsp butter (commonly used in Tiramisu). Mmm, creamy deliciousness. Even though Travis thought this cake looked kinda funny (I tried cutting the recipe in half to make a smaller dessert), the outcome was still sweet & tasty.
Then, continuing with my domestic mood, I opted to make the cookbook's Chicken Stock. I froze it, with the intention of using it someday soon if I can ever find some quail. One thing to note about this recipe, plenty of time was allowed for it to simmer (the cookbook said 6 to 12 hours). But after just TWO hours, I'm glad I paused my deep-cleaning chores to check on it. It evaporated so much, only 2 cups of broth was saved. I really don't think it could've sat much longer on the stove before it simmered down to nothing! And a big perk with this broth; it made our house smell extra good...
~Rating of Carrot Cake: 7.5 stars (out of 10)
~Rating of Chicken Broth: 7 stars (out of 10)
~Quote of the day: "Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." -Helen Keller
~Music while cooking: Buckcherry's 15, & Jackyl's When Moonshine & Dynamite Collide. (Saw both bands in concert yesterday, along with Smash Mouth, at the Bullpen Rally near Red Lodge, MT. They were so dang awesome! Even got to meet Jackyl -I've been a fan since high school- and Travis snatched a Buckcherry guitar pick that was thrown into the crowd. Such a crazy fun day!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment