Thursday, September 2, 2010

Recipe #61: Eat Pray Love

(33 recipes to go.)
Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. I'll be honest, I didn't care for this book when I read it. In fact, I sent it away in a book-trade chain letter thing. I did, however, love the whole premise; self-discovery, a journey around the world, searching for inspiration, realizing dreams, & finding oneself. But... I found the author's writing style to just draaaag on & on! Which is why, when I heard the movie was coming out, I was excited. I just knew it had to be better than the novel! And it definately was!! True pleasure of EATing in Italy, the power of PRAYer in India, and unexpectedly finding the inner peace and balance of true LOVE in Indonesia. Perfect girls' night; Brenda & I munched on popcorn & M&Ms while viewing it. Of course afterwards I was completely craving spaghetti after all those indulgent Italy scenes. But since the cookbook doesn't offer pasta dishes, I went with the India portion of the story for my Eat Pray Love meal. Using recipes I got while living in southern India during college, accompanied by Chico's Artichoke With Curry Aioli, dinner was intended to convince my husband that spices can be good! (In addition, I joined my parents for Crow Fair on the Crow Indian Reservation a few days ago, so I've been completely immersed in spiritual cultures this week. Love it!)
Here's the delicious, authentic Indian recipes. It was fun to make these while dressed in my Indian sari! (During our last Indian meal- recipe #13-, I wore my salwar kameez.) And FYI, since silverware was seldom used while I lived in Cochin, Kerala, the dough mixture (pudi) was used to scoop up the potato dish (aloo subji). Give it a try. Travis did, and actually enjoyed the meal & experience (minus the curry)!
Aloo Subji
Boil 4 medium-sized potatoes. Peel them after boiled, cut into sections. For the curry, heat oil. Fry cut onions & mustard seeds. Add potatoes, salt, tumeric powder, & some water. Stir & simmer.
Pudi
Use 3-4 cups flour (wheat or white) to make dough with water, milk & little (very little) oil. Set dough aside for 1-2 hours. Make into small balls (about size of 50 cent pieces). Use flour if sticky, and roll into flat circles with rolling pin. Heat oil in pan and fry dough in oil.
Ginger Chicken
Heat oil in wok-like pan. Fry 1 tbsp ginger, 1 tbsp garlic, & 2 cut-up onions. Add tomatoes, fry a little more. Add whole cut-up chicken, 1 tsp tumeric, & a pinch of salt. Fry for 5 more min. Add 2 c water & 1 tbsp pepper powder. Simmer 'til most water evaporates.
~Rating of Artichokes With Curry Aioli: 4 stars (out of 10). Travis just really doesn't like curry.
~Quotes of the day: "Once you have achieved a state of happiness, you must never become lax about maintaining it." -Elizabeth Gilbert in Eat Pray Love.
"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony." -Gandhi.
"Love begins by taking care of the closest ones- the ones at home." -Mother Teresa.
"After all the trouble you go to, you get about as much actual 'food' out of eating an artichoke as you would from licking 30 or 40 postage stamps." -Miss Piggy.
~Music while cooking: India Solitudes; Inner Peace Through Music & Nature Sounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment