Sunday, September 19, 2010

Recipe #65: busy beaver

(29 recipes to go.)
I tried to balance my productivity & relaxation this weekend... A lil GIRL TIME, some ME TIME, oh and a whole lotta WORK. I know, I know. Work isn't the best way to spend my days off. But nearly finishing a huge project does bring some peace of mind. To help motivate my brain, I baked a lil somethin'-somethin' to nibble on at my desk; Fennel Breadsticks! Chico is well-known for these goodies. We had them when dining at Chico's Restaurant last winter. And they went well with today's creation simmering on the stove; Ripley Soup. It was supposed to be a rainy day, so soup was intended as the perfect accompanyment to a cozy afternoon of cheering for those beloved Vikes.
They lost.
Again.
And the sun shined all day long. Doesn't anything ever go as planned? :)
Travis was out elk hunting with his dad, and even though they were unsuccessful, this comforting dish cheerfully welcomed him home with a savory scent & taste. The beautiful carnations he surprised me with a few days ago also added to the kitchen aroma. (They're pictured here, nestled between my lucky bamboo plant & the gorgeous fall arrangement from Cristin.) Our house has a delicious smell of fresh-cut flowers & a thick hearty broth lingering in the air! The soup is really appetizing, our cooks at work make it often. I highly recommend this on an upcoming chilly day. Alas, crisp Autumn weather is right around the corner...
Ripley Soup
In a big pot on the stove, stir in cut-up onion, celery, carrots, two 32 oz chicken broth, parsley, salt, pepper, ground meat (don't brown before, just sprinkle it in while boiling), dumplings (1 c flour, 2 eggs, salt- just crumble it in like the meat), and broken-up spaghetti.
Rating of Fennel Breadsticks: 6 stars (out of 10) from Travis. 7.5 stars from me.
Quote of the day: "The discipline to do what you don't want to do but know you should do, leads to creating greatness within." -Author Unknown
Music while cooking: Erykah Badu's Live.
.
.
.
.
.
.
...

No comments:

Post a Comment