Sunday, October 3, 2010

Recipe #68: Farmers Market

(26 recipes to go.)
Of course, I just had to catch the very last Farmer's Market of 2010! So sad it has come to an end... Among several treats of Khantaly's Eggrolls & the Hutterites' produce, I loaded up on herbs & veggies to make Chico's Gazpacho. A cold soup? Really? This recipe would have been completely overlooked if it weren't for my quest to cook the entire book. It just didn't sound appealing to me at all. But, figured I better get this potential thirst quencher out of the way before winter sets in. After all, a COLD soup with COLD temperatures seems even more ridiculous.
As the recipe's tomatoes, celery, cucumbers, & peppers marinated that afternoon, I headed up the mountain to check out Red Lodge's fall colors; my sixth trip there this year, what a great escape. After the week's hectic schedule & the previous night's entertainment at a rowdy Skyview homecoming football game (oh the memories that sparked!), a lil out-of-town peace & quiet was exactly what the doctor ordered. Hello Autumn!! Thanks for the beautiful scenery, Mother Nature. Its like I stumbled across a paint-by-number painting. And have I mentioned the weather is simply GORGEOUS? I mean, we're talking 80 degrees in October! Must. Savor. This. Sunshine. While watching a lil football this afternoon (NFL is like a soap opera or reality show-- ya just can't miss a thing!) I finished off the remaining steps of this sweet & spicy Gazpacho. And here's the kicker; I LOVE this soup!!! Love, love, loooove it! Its, surprisingly, quite refreshing with the veggie/tomato juice combo. There's still a huge pot leftover to welcome Travis from a hunting trip with his coworker Chris. My bachelorette weekend is about to come to a close... As are these beautiful sunshiny conditions, I just know it. But how great to discover a recipe I will most definately make again!
~Rating of Gazpacho: 8.5 stars (out of 10)
~Quote of the day: "To sit in the shade on a fine day & look upon the verdant green hills is the most perfect refreshment." -Jane Austin
~Music while cooking: In the mood for a lil jazz, I cranked up Erin McDougald's Meeting Place --during the football commercials...

No comments:

Post a Comment