Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Macaroons Take 4 = big news

World events in February 2011; Protests in Egypt, Packers won the Super Bowl, ...and I finally conquered Chico's macaroons! Fourth time's a charm, I guess.
Macaroons (created by Italian Monks, refined by French P√Ętissiers -I discovered while reading up on these lil suckers) seem like such a simple task. But for some reason, I found these delicate baked confections to be quite a challenge. What helped TREMENDOUSLY was using the hand-mixer I got for Christmas, as it zapped them into shape! And SHAPE was exactly what I needed since my previous attempts (Macaroons Take 3, Macaroons Take 2, & Recipe #48) created droopy gobs of liquidy coconut.
Quite giddy, we took these beautiful precious gems to my parents' house for Survivor night. (Another fun-filled season of betting on the winner has begun, and we've got a hundred bucks in the pot this time. -Way more winnings than the $15 Travis won a couple weeks ago during our hilarious puzzle competition with Ma & Pa. -I tell ya, we bet on everything!)
The cookies were a big hit and complimented our evening well. For reasons far beyond these goodies, this night is a magical memory....
~Rating of Macaroons: 8 stars (out of 10) Despite the coconut, Travis gobbled 'em up!
~Quote of the day: "To us, family means putting your arms around each other & being there." -Barbara Bush
~Music while cooking: Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road --with one of my all-time fave songs; B-B-B-Benny & The Jets!

No comments:

Post a Comment