Sunday, April 10, 2011

Recipe #90: Bun in the oven!!!


(4 recipes to go.)
Yup. We're ecstatic, exhilarated, & excited to announce we're EXPECTING A BABY!! (Insert happy happy joy joy dance here!)
With the "bun in the oven" on my mind, I was feeling rather 1950's housewifey while baking bread in the breadmaker this slightly rainy, overcast, spring-like morning. Chico's veal stock on the stove made our house smell quite appetizing! (I was also babysitting lil Trysten, and couldn't help but wonder if the scent influenced his dreams while napping?) The recipe's directions kinda made me chuckle as adding carrots, onions, bones, etc. completely reminded me of ingredients used in the ol' folk tale Stone Soup!
I wasn't able to find the recipe's veal bone ingredient, but The Meat Palace's butcher gave me ribeye bones as a substitute and I added veal for extra flavoring. However, between Travis teaching me cribbage, a lot of unexpectedness throughout the weekend, & the brilliant Elton John concert, the stock was kept in the fridge with the intention of using it a couple days later. Using the Lamb Soup recipe I listed in Lovin' The Lamb as a guide, we INTENDED to make a Veal Soup. However, we didn't have dinner at home until about a week later, so the stock unfortunately never got used.....
The magnificent Elton concert, though, was INCREDIBLE! A few of my favorite songs (Bennie & The Jets, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, & Tiny Dancer) sounded crisp & clear in the newly constructed Metra. (Just 10 months after the tornado they unveiled their new sound system, plus more bathrooms & bigger concessions!) How fun to take my own little "tiny dancer" with me. Although I can't feel any movement in my belly quite yet, I'm sure he/she was dancing up a storm!
~Rating of veal stock: 6 stars (out of 10). Travis found it to be very bland.
~Quote of the day: "Let the rain kiss you. Let the rain beat upon your head with silver liquid drops. Let the rain sing you a lullaby." -Langston Hughes
~Music while cooking: none

No comments:

Post a Comment